thenatch

the3500

A friend and I once worked out how many books a person could read in their lifetime. We were talking about a real reader, someone who read one book per week on average. Over a lifetime of reading - an average of 52 books per year for a lifetime of somewhere between 60 and 70 years - we came up with an approximation of 3500 books. To me, that doesn't sound like much.

Since I realized how limited my reading life really is, I've been keeping better track of the books I finish (which is pretty much every book I start - I'm one of those!). I've also been making different choices about which books I pick up. This is the list as it currently stands, with many books unfortunately forgotten from my early reading years.

The Hidden Life of Trees: What They Feel, How They Communicate—Discoveries From a Secret World
Peter Wohlleben
My Struggle: Book 1
Karl Ove Knausgård, Don Bartlett
Progress: 176/430 pages

"If you had to focus on just one living writer or musician, who would it be?" Teju Cole

I'll answer both: J.M. Coetzee and Radiohead.